Type of Article: Original
Page No.: 105-109
Rhesus Blood Groups Associated with Risk to Obesity and Diabetes Mellitus: A Report on Punjabi Population in Selangor, Malaysia
Kumeshini Sukalingam 1, Kumar Ganesan *2.
1 Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
*2 Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, International Medical School, Management and Science University, ShahAlam- 40100, Selangor, Malaysia.
Introduction: The present study was to evaluate the relationship between ABO and Rh blood groups with diabetes mellitus and obesity in Punjabi population, Selangor, Malaysia.
Methods: This study was carried out at various private clinics where nearby inhabiting Punjabi population at Selangor, Malaysia from August 2013 to July 2014. A total of 990 subjects (600 males and 390 females) were taken for the present study.
Results: Among them, 752 subjects are healthy individuals and 248 subjects had diabetes mellitus, and 159 subjects had obesity. The study incorporated the different blood groups such as group A: 22.52%; group B: 24.44%; group AB: 12.53% and group O: 40.51% respectively. The frequencies of Rh-positive and Rh-negative blood were 88.99% and 11.01% respectively.
Conclusion: Based on the present result, there was a significant difference between healthy subjects and obesity, diabetic patients in blood group B and Rh-positive groups.
KEY WORDS: Punjabi population, ABO and Rh Blood Groups, Obesity, Diabetes mellitus.
- Coon JS, Weinstein RS. Blood group-related antigens as markers of malignant potential and heterogeneity in human carcinomas. Hum Pathol 1986;17:1089-1086.
- Pinkston JA, Cole P: ABO blood groups and salivary gland tumors. Cancer causes control 1990;7:572-574
- Li B, Tan B, Chen C, Zhao L, Qin L. Association between the ABO blood group and risk of common cancers. J Evid Based Med 2014;7(2):79-83.
- Slater G, Itzkowitz S, Azar S, Aufses AH. Clinicopathological correlation of ABO and Rh blood types in colorectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum 1993;36:5-7.
- Cao, X, Wen Z-S, Sun Y-J, Li Y, Zhang L, Han Y-J. Prognostic value of ABO blood group in patients with surgically resected c.lon cancer. British J Cancer 2014;111:174-180.
- Klechova L, Gosheva-Antonova TS. ABO and Rh blood group factors in thyroid gland diseases. Vutr Boles 1980;19:75-93.
- Bjorkholm E. blood group distribution in women with ovarian cancer. Int J Epidemiol 1984;13:15-17
- Kvist E, Lauritzen AF, Bredesen J, Luke M. Relationship between blood groups and tumors of the upper urinary tract. Scand J Urol Nephrol 1988;22:289-291.
- Cerny T, Fey MF, Oppliger R, Nachbur B, gertsh M. Prevalence of Rhesus negative phenotypes in Caucasian patients with small cell lung cancer. Int J. Cancer 1992;52:504-506.
- Anderson DE, Haas C. Blood Type A and Familial Breast Cancer. Cancer 1984:54:1845- 1849.
- Vioque l, Walker AM. Pancreatic cancer and ABO blood types: a study of cases and controls. Med Clin 1991;96:761-764.
- Sharif S, Anwar N, Farasat T, Naz S. ABO blood group frequency in Ischemic heart disease patients in Pakistani population Pak J Med Sci 2014;30 :593-595.
- Lee HF, Lin YC, Lin CP, Wang CL, Chang CJ, Hsu LA. Association of blood group A with coronary artery disease in young adults in Taiwan. Intern Med 2012;51:1815-1820.
- Wazirzai H, Ashfaque A and Herzig JW. Association of blood group A with increased risk of coronary heart disease in the Pakistani population. Pak J Physiol 2005;1:1-3.
- Jassim WE. Association of ABO blood group in Iraqis with hypercholesterolaemia, hypertension and diabetes mellitus. East Mediterr Health J 2012;18:888-891.
- WHO Definition Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus and its complications. Report of a WHO Consultation.Geneva, WHO, 1999.
- Abdul Ghani, Waseem Muhammad, Iqbal Omar Awwab Khan, Muhammad Tahir. Association of diabetes mellitus with ABO and Rh blood groups. Ann Pak Inst Med Sci 2012;8:134-136.
- Pramanik T, Pramanik S. Distribution of ABO and Rh blood groups in Nepalese medical students: a report. East Mediterr Health J 2000;6:156-158.
- Hadeal S, Al Ali. Association of ABO and Rh blood groups with diabetes mellitus and hyper tension in Basrah city. Basrah J Sci 2008;26:29-37.
- Bener A, Yousafzai MT. The distribution of the ABO blood groups among diabetes mellitus patients in Qatar. Niger J Clin Pract 2014;17:565-568.
- Tedeschi G, Cavazzuti F. Casuistic contribution on the study of the relations between diabetes mellitus & the ABO & Rh blood groups. Prog Med (Napoli) 1959;15:76-82.
- Mishra M, Ahmad SZ. Obesity in association with glucose tolerance in A-B-O individuals. Indian J Appl Pure Biol 2012;27:119-126.
- Sidhu LS, Malhotra P, Singh SP. ABO and Rh blood groups in diabetes mellitus, Anthropol Anz 1988;46:269-275.
- Koley S. The Distribution of the ABO Blood Types in Patients with Diabetes Mellitus. Anthropologist 2008;10:129-132.
- Sharma S, Jayant Kumar, Raghuveer Choudhary, Soni ND. Study of Association between ABO Blood Groups and Diabetes Mellitus. Sch J App Med Sci 2014;2:34-37.
- Macafee AL. blood groups and diabetes mellitus. J Clin Path 1964;17:39-41.
- Qureshi M, Bhatti R. Frequency of ABO blood groups among the diabetes mellitus type 2 patients. J Coll Physician Surg Pak 2003;8:453–455.
- Barbara Nemesure, Suh-Yuh Wu, Anselm Hennis,M, Anselm. Cristina Leske. Hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and blood groups in a population of African ancestry. Ethnicity & Disease 2006.
- Supratik B, Ganaraja B，Ramesh M. Correlation between the blood groups, BMI and pre-hypertension among medical students. J Chinese Clin Med 2010;5:78-82.
- Nemesure B, Wu SY, Hennis A, Leske MC. Barbados Eye Study Group: Hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and blood groups in a population of African ancestry. Ethn Dis 2006; 16:822-829.
- Abdollahi AA, Qorbani M, Salehi A, Mansourian M. ABO blood groups distribution and cardiovascular major risk factors in healthy population. Iranian J Publ Health 2009;38: 123-126.
- Molison PL. Blood transfusion in clinical medicine. 6th eds, Blackwell Scientific Publication: Oxford, U.K 1979;239-666.
- Hein HO, Suadicani P, Gyntelberg F. The Lewis blood group-a new genetic marker of obesity. J Obst Related Metab Dis 2005;29:540-552.
- Awny AY, Kamel K, Hoerman KC. ABO Blood Groups And Hemoglobin Variants Among Nubians, Egypt, U.A.R. Am J Phys Anthropol 1965;23:81-82.
- Khan MN, Khaliq I, Bakhsh A. Distribution of ABO and Rh D blood groups in the population of Poonch District, Azad Jammu and Kashmir. East Med Health J 2009; 15:717-721.
- Tomilan VV, Gurtovaia SW: The incidence of finding ABO system antigens in the population of the Russian Federation. Sudan Med Ekspert 1999;42:16–18.
- Mollison PL, Engelfriet CP, Marcela Contreras: Blood Transfusion in Clinical Medicine, 9th Edition. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific Publication 1993;150–161.
Download Full Text TOC