Type of Article: Original Research
Volume 5; Issue 9: 2018
Page No.: 736-740
A COMPARATIVE STUDY ON THE ACCURACY OF LIGHT EMITTING DIODE FLUORESCENT MICROSCOPY AND CONVENTIONAL SPUTUM SMEAR MICROSCOPY IN THE DIAGNOSIS OF PATIENTS WITH PULMONARY TUBERCULOSIS
K. Kishore Kumar ¹, K.Sai Samrat *2, S. Sony Reddy 2.
1 Assistant Professor, Department Of Pulmonary Medicine, Chalmeda Anand Rao Institute Of Medical Sciences,Bommakal, Karimnagar, Telangana, India.
*2 Junior Resident, Department Of Pulmonary Medicine, Chalmeda Anand Rao Institute Of Medical Sciences,Bommakal, Karimnagar, Telangana, India.
Address for Correspondence: Dr. K. Sai Samrat, Junior Resident, Department Of Pulmonary Medicine, Chalmeda Anand Rao Institute Of Medical Sciences,Bommakal, Karimnagar, Telangana, India. E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Aims/Objectives: To compare the efficacy of light emitting diode fluorescent microscopy (LED) over conventional sputum smear microscopy in diagnosing Mycobacterium Tuberculosis.
Materials and Methods: This comparative study was conducted in the department of Pulmonology In Chalmeda Anand Rao Institute Of Medical Sciences, Karimnagar from November-2015 to June- 2017. A total of 100 sputum samples were collected from patients suspected of pulmonary TB.
Results: Out of 100 cases which were included in the study, 17 cases showed sputum positivity on AO staining where as only 11 cases showed sputum positivity on ZN staining. Number of paucibacillary cases detected on AO staining were 7, compared to only 2 on ZN staining.
Conclusion: Hence our study concludes that AO staining with LED is more efficient over ZN stain in detecting Tuberculosis bacilli in sputum, especially the paucibacillary cases in the diagnosis TB.
Key Words: Mycobacterium Tuberculosis, Sputum examination, Ziehl Neelsen Staining(ZN staining), Auramine-O Staining (AO staining).
- WHO, Global Tuberculosis Control Surveillance, Planning. WHO Report. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 2008;1-242.
- Elliott A M, Namaambo K, Allen B W,et al. Negative sputum smear results in HIV positive patients with pulmonary tuberculosis in Lusaka, Zambia. Tubercle Lung Dis 1993;74:191-194.
- Rieder H L, Van Deun A, Kam K M, Kim S J, Chonde T M, Trebucq A, Urbanczik R. Priorities for tuberculosis bacteriology services in low income countries. 2nd Paris, France: International Union against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, 2007.
- Steingert KR, Henry M, vi vienne. Fluorescence versus conventional sputum smear microscopy for tuberculosis, a systematic review. Lancet Infect Dis 2006;6:570-81.
- Murry SJ, Barret A, Magee JG, Freeman R. Optimization of acid fast smears for the direct detection of mycobacteria in clinical samples. J Clin Pathology 2003;56:613-15.
- Dinnes J, Deeks J, Kunst H, Gibson A, Gummins E, Waugh N, Drobniewski F, Lalvani A. A systematic review of rapid diagnostic tests for the detection of tuberculosis infection. Health Technology Assess 2007;11(3):1-196.
- J. Suria Kumar. Dr. C. Chandrasekhar. Dr. S. Rajasekaran. Comparison of conventional and fluorescent staining methods in diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis among HIVseropositive individuals. Jr of evolution of med and dental sci.2012;1(4):463-466.
- Prasanthi K, Kumari AR. Efficacy of fluorochrome stain in the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis co-infected with HIV. 2005. Indian J Med Microbiol 2005;23:179–81.
- Ulukanligil M, Aslan G, Tasci S. A comparative study on the different staining methods and number of specimens for the detection of acid-fast bacilli. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2000;95:855-8.
- By Hooja S, Pal N, Malhotra B, Goyal S, Kumar V, Vyas L. Comparison of Ziehl Neelsen & Auramine O staining methods on direct and concentrated smears in clinical specimens. Indian J Tuberc.2011 Apr;58(2):72-6.
- Laifangbam S, Singh HL, Singh NB, Devi KM, Singh NT. A comparative study of fluorescent microscopy with Ziehl-Neelsen staining and culture for the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis. Kathmandu University Medical Journal 2009;7(3):226-230.
- BaF, Rieder HL. A comparison of Fluorescence microscopy with the Ziehl-Neelsen technique in the examination of sputum for acid-fast bacilli. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 1999;3:1101–05.
- Dick van Soolingen, and Rob M. Warren Ben J. Marais, Wendy Brittle, Katrien Painczyk, Anneke C. Hesseling, Nulda Beyers, Elizabeth Wasserman. LED Fluorescence Microscopy to Detect AFB Lancet Infect Dis.2007;7(4):238-239.
- Jai Kishan Karahyla, Kamlesh Kumari, Pritpal KauAtwal. Staining. ERJSeptember 2013;42(1):P507
- Shrihari N, Bact KS. A Comparison of three different staining methods for the detection of acid fast bacilli (Mycobacterium tuberculosis) in sputum samples. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences (JPBMS). 2012;14(14).
- Golia S, Hittinahalli V, Nirmala AR, Sangeetha KT. Ziehl-Neelsen staining, Tuberculosis, Auramine-O, LED microscopy. A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF AURAMINE STAINING USING LED FLUORESCENT MICROSCOPY WITH ZIEHL-NEELSEN STAINING IN THE DIAGNOSIS OF PULMONARY TUBERCULOSIS. 2013 May; 16(1188).